# User Journey Map
User Journey Maps visualize the relationship of a user with a product over time.
A User Journey Map, often also referred to as a Customer Journey Map, is a visual representation of an interaction between a user (persona) and a product with a chronological sequence. There are no guidelines for the representation of a User Journey Map, but each User Journey Map should contain the following elements:
- The perspective, motivation, and emotions of the user.
- The usage scenario.
- The channels of interaction (e.g. website, shop).
- The actual behavior and the steps to perform the interaction.
- Pain points and challenges of the user during the interaction.
- Emotional state of the user.
It should be noted that this is a realistic representation of the interaction of a user, based on findings from the analysis of the usage context.
A visual representation of a user's interaction with a product over time. The User Journey Map contains all touchpoints and also the emotions of a user.
To create a User Journey Map the following 8 steps can be followed:
- Define the scope of the User Journey Map, e.g. the whole interaction or only a part of it.
- Select a persona whose experience with the product will be displayed.
- Choose a usage scenario which should be represented in the User Journey Map.
- Create a list of all relevant touchpoints and their channels (e.g. website, store). Touchpoints are user interactions with the product.
- Consider the motivation and intentions of the persona.
- Create the User Journey Map. An existing Storyboard can be helpful.
- Consider the emotions of the persona at every moment of the interaction. An Empathy Map provides valuable input.
- Validate and refine the User Journey Map.
# Tools and Templates
A User Journey Map visually illustrates a user's perspective and supports a user-centered design process. It thus serves the entire team during the entire project duration.
Inaccurate or inappropriate information can lead to wrong decisions.
- Babick, N. (2019) A Beginner’s Guide To User Journey Mapping
- Gibbons, S. (2018) Journey Mapping 101
- Kaplan, K. (2016) When and How to Create Customer Journey Maps
- Kaplan, K. (2017)) The 5 Steps of Successful Customer Journey Mapping
- Meyer, L. (2016) Customer Journey Map – Herzstück vieler UX-Methoden